New analysis of HispanicMagazineMonitor™ data for 2011 reveals that Procter and Gamble spent just over 1 out of every four (26.6%) NEW dollars invested in Hispanic magazines in 2011, while People en Español won over one-third (37.6%) of the $91.5 million spent by 364 NEW brands/campaigns in Hispanic magazines in 2011.
Hispanic magazines posted an impressive 39.1% increase in estimated ad dollars in October
(compared to previous year) while ad pages were up by 6.5%, according to estimates from HispanicMagazineMonitor™. For the January – October period, total ad dollars are up by 26.5%, while ad pages are up by 2.0%. While the segment as a whole is recovering, the most dramatic gains in ad pages and revenue are being made by the the largest of the monthly and bi-monthly titles.
Overall, Hispanic magazines are enjoying a return to solid growth in ad pages and dollars – particularly for the largest titles. For the category as a whole, total ad dollars are up by 23.8%, while ad pages are basically flat at +0.6%.
Most of the major titles have enjoyed growth in both ad pages and dollars. For example, ad dollars are up by 39.9% at People en Español, +12.6% at Latina, +26.1% at TV y Novelas, +50.4% at Siempre Mujer, and +26.1% at Vanidades. Ad pages are also up +34.1% at People en Español, +10.3% at Latina, +46.9% at Cosmo en Español, and +29.9% at Siempre Mujer.
Other magazines having a good year include: Televisa’s Poder Hispanic (a merger of Poder Enterprise and Hispanic Magazine where ad pages are up by 40.2%), and Impremedia’s redesigned Vista magazine (+26.2% ad pages YTD).
Total Ad page growth for the Hispanic magazine category however has been dampened by cuts in frequency between 2010 and 2011 by titles like TV y Novelas (18x/yr to 12x/yr), TV Notas (51x/yr to 26x/yr), and Vanidades (18x/yr to 12x/yr). However, while those titles have cut frequency, they have managed to increase rate base significantly and raise rates, resulting in the ad revenue gains noted above.
The Personal Care Products category remains by far the largest category accounting for more than a one-third (36.8%) share of all dollars and a 28.6% share of all ad pages in the Hispanic segment during the first three-quarters of this year. Spending in the Personal Care Category has grown by 29.4% year-over-year, led by spending increases in Haircare (+41.4%) and Cosmetics (31.4%). Procter & Gamble (45.9% share) and L’Oreal (27.9%) lead the category in ad spending with Estee Lauder a distant third (4.5%).
Please see the slideshow below for rankings of top 10 Advertisers, Brands/Campaigns, Categories, and Magazines:
Please let us know if you have any questions about the Hispanic magazine results above and/or if we can be of help in any way.
Thanks for reading.
- Carlos Pelay
Want to dig deeper? Register here for a free 7-day guest pass to HispanicMagazineMonitor™.
Hispanic magazine ad spending is up 24.8% through the first four months of 2011, according to HispanicMagazineMonitor™ estimates released today by Media Economics Group. While performance is still inconsistent across the segment, many key Hispanic titles and categories have shown strong growth in ad pages and spending so far this year. Read more…
Get Email Updates:
- Ad Spending Estimates (7)
- Hispanic (93)
- Latin America (26)
- MEG Company News (13)
- Research (8)
- Gracias/Ths for following! @BestTalento_ , @LatinosSpeak, @LeoLon_26, @garybizzo, @clicroi, @CommunityTech, @Wyrde, @PatriciaSalomn. 1 hour ago
- .@ProcterGamble and @Toyota top advertisers in #Hispanic #online in first quarter 2013 bit.ly/12eZVJA via @mediaeconomics 1 hour ago
- A recap on our blog of some recent #Bilingual & #Spanglish #online campaigns for #Hispanics bit.ly/13FfIzl 1 hour ago
- Untl we parents stalk there too?! MT @pewresearch @theatlanticwire teens Turning frm FB B/c Tumblr Real, Parent-Free" bit.ly/11YjxoM 1 day ago
- Why are we still asking about Race when it is a non-scientific and increasingly meaningless and unhelpful concept? bit.ly/13LcyNO 1 day ago
- Bilingual/Spanglish Online ads for Hispanics - some examples wp.me/pBJuA-lV 1 day ago
- Bilingual/Spanglish Online ads for Hispanics - some examples
- P&G and Toyota lead Online Advertising in the Hispanic market in the First Quarter of 2013
- Hispanic magazines ad spending up by 22.4% in First Quarter, 2013: Top 10 Tables
- Hispanic Market Overview 2013 available now from HispanicAd.com
- HispanicWebMonitor™: New Campaigns by Wendy's/Coca-Cola, Target, and Kellogg's
- HispanicWebMonitor™: New Campaigns by Ford "Vive Vanidades iPad App", NBA "Noche Latina 2013", Rimmel London "Color Me Gorgeous"
- ColombiaWebMonitor™ 2012 Fast Facts Round-up
- Univision Interactive Traffic Up in 2011, but Revenue falls by 4.1%
- ColombiaWebMonitor: Online competitive intelligence for Colombia now available from Media Economics Group
- New Hispanic Online campaigns by Blackberry, Burger King, Dorito's, Droid X, Gain, Infusium 23, Levi's, McDonald's and many others.